Thursday, November 2, 2017

Thanksgiving Day Favorite Dessert Recipes

In our house as I was growing up, we always had a pumpkin pie and a mincemeat pie for Thanksgiving Day.  My grandfather always made the pies and his crust skills couldn't be beat for being flaky.  We didn't vary from those choices.  But, as the world says move over to the traditional pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving Day, I suggest that you include it even if you are preparing some of the other pumpkin dessert recipes.


One of the current favorite for pumpkin desserts is the pumpkin cake roll filled with cream cheese frosting.  This recipe has been a favorite in the supermarkets in the past few years.  It's really not a new idea because I remember one of my neighbors making this when my now grown children were toddlers.  There is a skill needed to make this without breaking the cake.


My favorite recipe that I made for my family is a Pumpkin Chiffon Bundt Cake.  This recipe is so simple and one that I've made over the years.  It can be served plain with powdered sugar and with a whipped cream icing.


Another favorite of my children is a recipe that my friend's mother made in the fall.  This little German lady was quite a dessert baker.  She made pumpkin cookies that simply melted in your mouth.  For that matter, anything Mrs. T made from custard pies to Christmas cookies was a real treat indeed  Mrs. T's pie crust was always sprinkled with sugar and could rival my grandpap's.


For those of you who prefer your cakes in the form of a loaf, there is the ever popular Pumpkin Bread.  We made this often for the holidays and used it both for Thanksgiving and Christmas.


When I would attend an Elks District Meeting at McKees Rocks Lodge, they always served a variation of pumpkin pie in squares, which was a graham cracker and nut mixture base with a pumpkin pie filling.  They always topped it off with just a dollup of real whipped cream.


Whatever you serve for dessert for Thanksgiving, be it pies, cakes, cookies or breads, you really need to have a pumpkin flavor along with the turkey, stuffing and other sides.

No comments:

Post a Comment