Wednesday, January 15, 2020

Just a Spaghetti Kind of Day

In our house as a child Thursday was always Spaghetti Day and my favorite meal of the week.  My Mom never made her own sauce but the taste was superb.  She added her mixtures of sauteed ground beef to one can of Chef Boyardee Mushroom Sauce and one Can of Chef Boyardee Meat Sauce.  The popular Walt Disney song has been a by-word in our house, "A spoonful of sugar makes the medicine go down," or in this case takes the acid out of the spaghetti sauce.


I spent a lot of time in my kitchen getting my homemade spaghetti sauce to taste like my Mom's mostly out of the can recipe but I succeeded. I always buy 73% ground beef because it has more flavor because of the fat content.  I confess I do use a couple of jars of prepared sauce as fillers for my tomato, tomato paste and ground meat recipe.  After I have a base I add one jar of store bought mushroom sauce because I don't put mushrooms in my skillet with the meat and one jar of onion and garlic sauce to add to the content but not the flavor.



I had better than a half a bag of ravioli in my freezer, so I made my spaghetti sauce with the ground meat and the ravioli.  I just didn't layer it into the lasagna style that you see above.  We ate ravioli the old fashioned way with meat sauce over it.


As much as I enjoyed the ravioli, it just didn't quench the urge I had for my Mom's Thursday Night Spaghetti.  So last night we ate spaghetti with the meat sauce that was left over from the ravioli.  Good spaghetti sauce never goes to waste in my house because I love so.  I always have at least a half pound of thin spaghetti pasta on the shelf so that I can enjoy the best of the best.

So when you see that butcher's special of ground chuck, think about making what I called as a child, "bisgetti."   As always, "Try it -- You'll like it."

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete