Friday, January 3, 2020

Let's Make Soup

Here is a favorite old subject of mine which is making soups and putting them up for winter.  By putting them up for winter, I mean freezing portions for later use.  I find that soups from the freezer are just as good and sometimes better than when we first made them.  So let's get started and make some of my favorite soups.

Tortellini Soup
There is nothing better for you in cold weather than a bowl of soup. One of my favorite recipes for soup is Tortellini Soup. This soup takes some special techniques if you follow the recipe closely but is well worth the effort. This hearty soup is sure to chase away those chills.

Vegetable Soup
You can't make soup from scratch without including Homemade Vegetable Soup. My mom made the best and I've spent a lifetime trying to duplicate her recipe. There is one rule to making good vegetable soup and that is the more vegetables the better. My personal like is to add butter beans but no lima beans. In Lent which is not too far off, You would make the vegetable soup without any meat base but my Mom usually started her vegetable soup by simmering chuck roast chunks to give it a fuller flavor.


Another one of my favorite soups for this season is Stuffed Pepper Soup. This is another hearty soup that is very easy to make. The hardest part of the process is browning the ground beef.  Everything that goes into stuffed peppers goes into this soup and it is just as hearty and flavorful.


There are so many other soups we can make for the coming blustery Winter season.  I've found a recipe for Potato and Corn Chowder.  This one is easy and can be made using frozen corn rather than starting from scratch like my Mom used to do.

There are so many ways to make soup and so many flavors that you could literally eat soup and sandwiches though the months of January to March Just by making them and freezing portions for later.

No comments:

Post a Comment