Wednesday, February 27, 2019

Cardinals Came to Visit

I am a firm believer that when you see cardinals you are being visited by loved ones who have passed over.

Over the past 15 years my husband, youngest son and oldest step-daughter have all passed.  In late 2016, my oldest son was struck down with a serious medical condition that made me anxious that he would also leave me.  I had a brilliantly colored visitor in march of 2017 and I just caught a glimpse of it on my deck inside the awnings that were down for winter.

Male cardinal on solar light near my feeders

Last year, a brilliantly-colored male cardinal was at my bird feeder and just sat there watching me.  A kind of peaceful feeling came over me as I gazed at him letting the knowledge that I had been visited by a loved one.  While I was watching. my eyes caught a movement on my porch which was darkened by the awnings being down.

There on my railing a female cardinal was trying to get from inside my deck to the feeders.  She finally found the way out and flew down to the ground below my main birdfeeder.

Female visitor on fence across the alley
When I looked out my side window, I saw her in my second bird feeder.

I had a strangely peaceful feeling for the rest of the day after receiving visits from my loved ones to let me know everything will be okay.

The three cardinals have all been regular visitors with the addition newest of the male birds which I know because it's wings are darker than the other male's wings.  He comes to the feeder, cocks his head back and forth and watches me sitting in my chair on the deck as he eats the seeds I've put out for my feathered friends.

Over the past winter, I have not seen any of the cardinals until last week when I saw the male at the feeder outside my computer window.  Yesterday the female was on the fence across the alley just as she is in the picture above.

All was well again and I looked forward each day to them visiting me one by one at the feeders.   Each has it's own distinct features and I know when my children have come to visit.

No comments:

Post a Comment