Sunday, February 10, 2019

Using White Rice From Chinese Order

Are you a fan of Chinese food but don't use the white rice that comes with the order?  We normally order Chinese about once a week but we do not use the white rice.  Our standard order is the Broccoli and Chicken and Chicken Fried Rice.

China Lin Menu
We particularly like the China Lin Chinese Restaurant in the Lawrenceville neighborhood of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania.  They are not located right on Butler Street and I have seen people eating inside the restaurant but it seems to do most of it's trade by delivery or pick ups.

I now have two recipes that I prepare from the white rice that we get with our meal.

Sausage, Apples & Rice Casserole
The first is Apples, Sausage and Rice, one of my favorite dinners from the days when I worked in RIDC and ate at a Stouffer Cafeteria.  Because I don't have as much rice as I use for a full casserole, I normally make this with about 6 sausage links precooked and a package of Stouffer's Harvest Apples from the freezer section at the Giant Eagle Supermarket.  After I have precooked the apples I sprinkle them with some additional sugar and cinnamon.  This is important because I love my apples cinnamony good.  Then I place them and the sausage in a casserole with the white rice.  Place the lid over the casserole and pop the whole thing into the microwave for as long as you would to reheat a casserole you have stored in your refrigerator.

Rice Pudding
The second recipe that I like to make with my white rice is rice pudding.  Because I have the white rice precooked, I can just go ahead with my recipe starting with the egg and milk mixture.  Also, because of the amount of rice, this recipe needs to be cut in half using 3 eggs and a pint of milk.  When I'm making this recipe I use a pudding cup or individual bowls and sprinkle cinnamon on top.  The cinnamon sticks make a nice touch for serving.


Stuffed Pepper Soup
Finally, let's use that rice in our ground meat mixture to make those stuffed peppers or even in a smaller pot of stuffed pepper soup.

So there you have it.  Three ways to use the white rice from your Chinese food order that would somehow end up being tossed out.






No comments:

Post a Comment