Friday, June 5, 2020

National Doughnut Day

It seems like it was a long time getting here, NATIONAL DOUGHNUT DAY.  As a lover of doughnuts, it was a long hard 12 months.  The first Friday in June.

Last year I went to Giant Eagle at around 8 am and in the entrance was a table full of boxes of a dozen doughnut assortments.  I'm particular and wanted mostly chocolate this year so I went back to the bakery where the selection was slim pickings until a bakery worker told me they had a special section today in honor of the day over by the fresh baked breads.  Wow!  They had long johns with white cream and Bavarian cream.  No jelly doughnuts this year.  All the regulars were there such as glazed, raised with sugar, white and chocolate cake doughnuts with white, chocolate or maple frosting.

This year is an even better deal, "$3.99 a dozen." There were racks and racks of fresh doughnuts just waiting for the shopper who was there for the special.  Usually the price is $5 on Fridays.

A selection of Giant Eagle doughnuts

I'm a kid again or at least a kid at heart.  I love raised doughnuts.

Dunkin Donuts Assortment


They can be glazed,
 sugar coated,
 iced
  or even be long with white cream
inside them.  It makes no difference.  I just love doughnuts.

I'm not fond of the the Boston cream though.  As a child we ate cake donuts.  My son prefers the Boston cream and I'm always sure to get at least two of those for him.



I remember my neighbor making raised donuts.  She used a biscuit cutter to cut out the doughnut and then a whiskey glass to cut out the hole.



She didn't use a fancy grease fryer.  She just used a pot and a slotted spoon to turn and lift the doughnuts out of the grease onto brown paper bags to absorb the grease.



She then dropped them into another paper bag filled with granulated sugar to coat the doughnuts before placing them on a tray.

What a wonderful day today because I get to fill my sweet tooth with my favorite breakfast food. . .a wonderful raised doughnut.  Happy National Doughnut Day.


No comments:

Post a Comment