Monday, April 18, 2016

So That's What Goldfinch Looks Like

When you live to be 70, you think that you have seen it all or had all your "first times."  In the summer of 2014 I was proven wrong in a most surprising way.


Never in my lifetime have I seen a goldfinch but I did that day.  I was sitting on my deck and out of the corner of my eye, I spied a speck of yellow fly out of my neighbors dense foliage and over the top of the garage roof next door.  I thought to myself that must be a wild canary and I looked up wild canary the next time I came inside.  What popped up was a picture of a goldfinch.

Since I saw the yellow speck in my lazy part of the day, I just registered it a question for when I actually went back into the house.  A short while later, I noticed a beautiful yellow bird with the black cap and v-shaped black wings sitting on a rung in my other neighbor's fence.  To my wonderment this bird stayed perched there for several minutes letting me take in the beauty of a first time experience.

I had never seen such a bird in all my born days except in nature books and I was thrilled beyond words to have seen it.  As a young adult my neighbors owned a greenhouse and neighborhood flower shop.  Mister Blaha was a great outdoors man and he loaned me several books, one of which was a bird guide.  Since I have long since lost that book, I now rely on my internet for my sightings.

As you know I spent two months in 2011 just attracting birds to my deck with a selection of seeds in various bird feeders and did a whole list of the birds that I had seen and heard.

This beauty never visited my feeder but that is understandable since I have now read their migration habits and what types of flowers attract them.  They are attracted to seeds and since my neighbor recently planted a sunflower in his yard that is as tall as an elephants eye.  I'm guessing that it should be going to see about now and I attribute the attraction to that plant.

I will never again make the mistake of thinking that I have seen and done all my "Firsts."

No comments:

Post a Comment