Tuesday, June 4, 2019

Wedding Cookies - Kruschiki or Beer Bow Ties

Before I met my Italian husband, I worked in a Polish neighborhood and the traditional Polish cookie is Kruschiki which is almost like a cake doughnut twisted into a bow tie.

Kruschiki

These are deep fried the same as a doughnut and then sprinkled with powdered sugar.

Slit cookie and pull end through slit

The recipe for these is fairly simple to make and the trick is to cut a slit in the dough and pull one end through the slit.
Fry cookies on both sides
Deep frying these can be done in a large skillet or in the deep fryer.  I suggest using a slotted spoon to turn the cookie in the oil so that it is cooked on both sides.  You don't want to prick the cookie which will cause it to be saturated with your oil.


Kruschicki draining on paper towels
Once the cookie has started to cool  it can be placed in a brown bag with powdered sugar to coat the outside of the cookie.
Shaking cookies in bag with powdered sugar
My daughter makes these better than I do because I can't seem to get the hang of pulling the end through the dough.  I love eating these simple and plain cookies with their cake doughnut flavor.

1 comment:

  1. Yum! My Aunt Silly (Cecilia) made these so well. I ate tons as a kid.

    ReplyDelete