Sunday, June 17, 2018

So That's A Purple Finch

As I grow old, I've been blessed with the visions wondrous wild life creatures.

At an annual picnic in Plum Borough a few years ago, my friend who hosted the picnic had several bird feeders hung back away from the house above a wooded area.

Purple Finch
Of course, my attention was immediately drawn to the creatures that were feeding there.  I was thrilled when I saw a slightly red headed bird that I didn't recognize.

My friends had only recently moved into their new home which they had built for their retirement years.  They told me that they had only hung the feeders that weekend using the feed they had left over from their previous home.

These beautiful finches came immediately and have been feeding there ever since.  She also has hummingbirds but she attracts them with the hibiscus planters she has on her deck.

House Finch

In my yard I get House Finches at my feeders.  They have red feathers on their heads and breasts.  The rest of their feathers resemble sparrows.

Goldfinch at my feeder
Yesterday, the Goldfinch flew past.  It was headed for my bird feeder but when it saw me it turned in mid flight and zoomed away to the neighbors fig tree.

Pete's fig tree is always alive with birds
This has been a wonderful summer for my love of bird feeding and watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment