Sunday, February 16, 2020

Braciole (Stuffed Steak)


Individual Stuffed Breakfast Steaks (Braciole)
This week I lucked out and got a great buy on a whole round steak cut very thin.  As soon as I saw it I knew I was going to make braciole for dinner that night.  I'm not partial to round steak but I couldn't pass it up.  Normally when I make braciole these days I have it using thin cut breakfast steaks which are normally thin cut sirloin steaks.  I have found cuts of meat in one of our local supermarkets that are labeled for braciole.

Mixing Bread Stuffing

I prefer bread stuffing in my braciole even though my Italian mother-in-law usually made a meat stuffing for her braciole.  If you are being lazy and have boxed stuffing on the shelf, you can make the stuffing using the boxed mix and save what is left over after you stuff the steak as a side dish.  This gives you more stuffing, which is right up my alley.

Spreading Stuffing on Steaks
Once the stuffing is made lay out your steaks and line it with the stuffing mixture.

Wrapped Stuffed Steaks in Pan
Roll your steak into a log or in the case of the above where I used breakfast steaks into individual logs and then place them into a baking dish.  I have found that using skewers designed for grilling is a great way to keep the braciole rolled right during baking.

I normally bake my braciole in my oven at 350 deg. until the steak is browned and cooked through.  My mother-in-law used her cast-iron skillet and simmered them on top of the stove.  She had to keep a watchful eye on them and turned them as needed.


Braciole is not just a beef recipe.  If you can get the right cut of meat from the butcher, you can also do this recipe using pork.  Another form would be to beat chicken breast until they are thin and roll those up with stuffing.

Stuffed Chicken Breasts


Although my son is not as fond of spaghetti as I am, I like to serve this with a side of spaghetti and meat sauce.  If you pour some of the meat sauce over the braciole it add additional flavor to your meal.

Braciole with a side of Spaghetti


This whole recipe only takes about 15 minutes to prepare and another 30-45 minutes to cook.

No comments:

Post a Comment