Thursday, March 12, 2020

Lenten Dishes made with eggs and eggplant

When My husband was growing up, his favorite Lenten sandwich was an egg and pepper sandwich.

Pepper and Egg Sandwich
Now, you have to remember that his mom always made her own bread and it wasn't just some eggs fried up with peppers on the side thrown onto store-bought bread.  This sandwich was a mountain with two slabs of bread cut off the loaf with green or red or yellow pepper (maybe all 3) sauteed and then mixed into two eggs per sandwich.  This concoction was seasoned to perfection with just a dash of onion powder or salt added to the regular salt and pepper.  During Lent you are supposed to fast from fish and abstain from large meals.  I don't know if this pepper and eggs sandwich adhered to the abstaining part but my hubby sure did enjoy that sandwich.

In our borough there were several luncheonettes that served this sandwich as a part of their breakfast menu.  Of course, the owners were Italian and raised on these hero egg sandwiches.

Eggplant Parmesan
I have two really good recipes that are made with eggplant.  Of course, the Eggplant Parmesan has to be made with marinara sauce and no meat during Lent.  This layered form of Lasagna is a staple for the Lenten Season.
Sicilian Eggplant
The other recipe that I have for eggplant is Sicilian Eggplant.  The instructions for making this dish are kind of sketchy since it was given to me verbally by my Italian neighbor who speaks broken English.  This dish when prepared is normally used as a side dish instead of an entree.

Like I said when I started talking Lenten foods, I'm not fond of fish and you wont find too many recipes for fish on this blog.  I'm going to go surfing the rest of Lent and we will do some neat recipes on Fridays that I find for yours and my experimentation.  The rest of the week will feature some of my favorite recipes and we will continue our shopping savings when we find those specials.

No comments:

Post a Comment