Tuesday, May 28, 2019

Easy Casserole Dinners

Just being lazy is one reason to make a casserole.  In some recipes it all goes in one bowl and the result is a delicious change to your menu.  When I'm being particularly lazy I buy a pan of macaroni and cheese and then microwave a chicken breast and some broccoli.  When the macaroni is just about done you can add the chicken and broccoli and you have a one dish dinner that is tasty and mostly nutritious.
Mac and Cheese with Broccoli and Chicken

Of course, you can do it the long way and make it all from scratch such as the linked recipe for home-made macaroni and cheese with chicken and broccoli.

Sausage, Apples & Rice Casserole
Another one of my favorite casseroles is Sausage Apples and Rice.  This recipe I made up after eating something similar at a cafeteria where I worked which used Stouffer Recipes.  I served it to my step-children soon after I married my second husband and to this day they are asking me for the recipe.  It's rather easy to make and the secret to it's good flavor is that I boil apple juice to make my rice.  The apples come from the ones I put up for winter usually or I have to microwave a batch while the rice is cooking.  The sausage is usually leftovers from breakfast but you can start by cooking down the sausage from scratch.

Chicken and Stuffing Casserole
I have to admit I got this idea from the side of a box of stuffing mix.  I mix the stuffing with chicken broth, place chicken breasts on top of the dish, cover with foil and bake at 350 degrees until the chicken is cooked through and the stuffing is moist.  You can also add some broccoli to this recipe.

Each of these recipes is easy to make and takes varying cooking times but the result is a fabulous dinner.

No comments:

Post a Comment